A great dish to serve if you have a large number of guests to feed, because it is so easy to prepare and cook. Baked Peppers Au Gratin are a wonderful appetiser and side, served with meat or seafood, but you can have them as a vegetarian meal, with a nice salad. You can prepare a gluten-free version of this Italian traditional dish using instant polenta, instead of bread crumbs. You can also make a vegan version without the cheese.
Serve Peppers Au Gratin hot or cold, they are delicious either way! But in the summer I prefer this dish cold, straight from the fridge, because the peppers need some time to absorb all the different flavours.
This is the right season to eat fresh bell peppers and there are plenty of choices when it comes to great traditional recipes with this wonderful ingredient.
Here are some other recipes using bell peppers that I have published recently on Foodfulife:
Roasted Bell Peppers with Garlic Vinaigrette
Baked Peppers Au Gratin.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
3 large bell peppers (red and yellow)
6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
80 g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, finally chopped
1/2 a tablespoon of dried oregano
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed and finally chopped
salt and pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil
1. In a small bowl, mix the herbs with the breadcrumbs, the grated cheese, the garlic and season with some salt and pepper.
2. Wash and dry the bell peppers.
3. Using a knife, cut the peppers in half and remove the stem, the seeds and the white parts.
4. Place the peppers onto an oven tray, previously greased with a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. With a spoon, spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly onto the peppers.
5. Bake in the oven at 200°C (392° F) , until the peppers are tender and the breadcrumb mixture becomes very crunchy.
Peperoni Gratinati Al Forno.
Tempo di preparazione: 10 minuti
Tempo di cottura: 40 minuti
3 peperoni grandi (rosso e giallo)
6 cucchiai di pangrattato
80 g di Parmigiano Reggiano, grattugiato fresco
1 cucchiaio di prezzemolo fresco, tritato finemente
1/2 cucchiaio di origano secco
2-3 spicchi d’aglio, schiacciato e tritato finemente
sale e pepe
olio extra vergine di oliva
1. In una terrina, mescolate il pan grattato con l’aglio, l’origano, il prezzemolo, il parmigiano e un pò di sale e pepe.
2. Lavate e asciugate bene i peperoni.
3. Con un coltello, tagliate e rimuovete la calotta superiore del peperone. Tagliate a metà gli ortaggi e rimuovete la parte interna, con i filamenti e i semi.
4. Disponete i peperoni sopra una teglia, unta con un filo d’olio. Riempite i peperoni con il composto di pangrattato e sapori, ma senza esagerare.
5. Condite con un po’ d’olio e infornate a 200° C. Quando i peperoni saranno morbidi e il ripieno croccante spegnete il fuoco.
9 thoughts on “Traditional Recipe: Baked Peppers Au Gratin”
Always looks good! And I love yellow bell peppers. Peppers in general are so versatile, which is why I love cooking with them.
Thank you! As you can see, I also love peppers! I love the taste, I love the fact that are so versatile, as you said …and I love the fact that are so photogenic! 🙂 Enjoy your weekend! X
These look gorgeous Serena!
Thank you so much! I am glad that you like them!
Brilliant Serena– simple but a perfect start to a meal with friends. love it.
Very lovely recipe!! Will have to try this 🙂
It’s quite easy to make and really taste delicious! 🙂
AMA-ZING Serena. ……This looks sooo luscious. …
Thank you Chitra! My mother prepares them quite often, they are really delicious! 🙂