Rich in flavour and fibre, buckwheat crepes are incredibly delicious, healthy and can make a simple meal look quite impressive! You can be a little intimidated when you first make crepes….Well, I was when I made crepes for the first time! It is not so difficult to make nice crepes, as long as you remember to occasionally grease the frying pan during the preparation method, you move quickly when you shape the crepes and you cook the crepes over a low heat.
It might take a little bit of practice at first, however the best way to shape the crepes is to quickly move the pan around, in order to spread and flatten the batter evenly. During this process the frying pan shouldn’t be too hot, otherwise the batter will cook too quickly, leaving you with thick and uneven crepes.
During the cooking time, the crepes will start curling around the edges and lifting up from the pan; at this point the crepes are ready to be flipped around, to cook both sides.
You can be very creative with this dish and serve your crepes with lots of savoury or sweet fillings, experimenting with a great variety of ingredients, textures and flavour combinations.
Enjoy the recipe and have fun with it!
For 10 crepes
300 g of buckwheat flour
400 ml of milk
100 ml of water
extra virgin olive oil
salt or sugar (depending if you are making a sweet or savoury recipe)
extra virgin olive oil
1. In a bowl, gradually mix the flour with milk, water and salt (or sugar). Separately, beat the eggs and then make the batter incorporating the eggs and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into the flour mixture. Place the batter to cool for two hours in the refrigerator.
2. Heat a large frying pan over a low heat, then grease the base with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
3. Using a ladle, pour the batter in centre of the pan, then spread evenly and let cook for a few minutes.
4. When the crepe starts curling around the edges, turn it around and cook the other side.
Repeat the process until you have made all the crepes, occasionally greasing the pan with a little extra virgin olive oil.
Crepes di grano saraceno
Per 10 crepes
300 g di farina di grano saraceno
400 ml di latte
100 ml di acqua
olio extra vergine d’oliva
zucchero o sale (dipende se la ricetta è dolce o salata)
1. Amalgamate la farina e il sale (o zucchero) con il latte mischiato all’acqua. A parte, sbattete le uova e incorporatele al composto con un cucchiaio d’olio extra vergine d’oliva. Lasciate riposare la pastella nel frigorifero per almeno due ore.
2. Fate scaldare, a fuoco moderato, una padella con un cucchiaio d’olio extra vergine d’oliva.
3. Usando un mestolo, versate il composto al centro della padella, poi muovete energicamente la pentola per stendere uniformemente la pastella.
4. Lasciate cuocere per qualche minuto. Quando la crepe incomincia ad arricciarsi sui bordi potete girarla per cuocerla su entrambi i lati.
Preparate tutte le crepes, ricordandovi di ungere ogni tanto la padella con un filo d’olio.