This week we are going to prepare these delicious wholemeal chocolate biscuits with chestnut flour, a real autumn treat!
The chestnut flour, naturally sweet, is rich in minerals and gluten-free , therefore it can be used to prepare various dishes for celiacs. For this recipe I used this particular flour for its natural sweetness and the rich nutty taste that, in my opinion, enhances the intense cocoa flavour perfectly.
Useful tip. Use a round shaped cookie cutter to make the biscuits and cut them quite thick, as this dough can crumble quite easily. These biscuits can also burn easily, so be careful when you cook them and keep an eye on them.
Wholemeal chocolate and chestnut biscuits.
for 20-25 biscuits
40 g ( 1.4 oz) brown rice flour
60 g ( 2.1 oz) chestnut flour
80 g ( 2.8 oz) wholemeal flour
100 g (3.5 oz) softened butter
20 g ( 0.70 oz) cocoa powder
2 tablespoons and a half of honey
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
brown sugar to garnish (use plenty, as the biscuits aren’t very sweet)
1. Beat the butter, the egg and honey until creamy.
2. Mix the flours with the cocoa and baking powder.
3. Combine all the ingredients and work the dough until smooth.
4. With a rolling pin (and your hands) roll out the dough to approximately 5-8 mm thickness.
5. Cut the biscuits into the desired shape, top with brown sugar, pressing them slightly with your hands.
6. Bake at 200 ° C ( 392 ° F) on a greased baking tray for 10-12 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the biscuits, the cooking time may vary.
40 g di farina di riso integrale
60 g di farina di castagne
80 g di farina integrale
1 uovo intero
2 cucchiai e mezzo di miele
100 g di burro morbido
20 g di cacao amaro
un pizzico di sale
1 cucchiaino di lievito per dolci in polvere
abbondante zucchero di canna per guarnire
1. Mescolate il burro con l’uovo e il miele.
2. A parte, mescolate le tre farine insieme al cacao e al lievito in polvere.
3. Unite tutti gli ingredienti e lavorate bene la pasta.
4. Con il matterello stendete una sfoglia alta approssimativamente 5-8 mm.
5. Tagliate i biscotti nella forma desiderata (meglio se rotonda) e guarnite con abbondante zucchero di canna.
6. Infornate a 200° C su una teglia grande imburrata (o con carta da forno) per 10-12 minuti.
9 thoughts on “Deliciously intense chocolate and chestnut biscuits.”
they look great! you don’t see chestnut used too much in the US but I love them!
Hi! Here in Genoa, where I live, we have a traditional cake called “Castagnaccio”, made with chestnut flour and pine nuts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castagnaccio.
I just love them cooked over a flame with some wine..They are really delicious!
Actually, for my next recipe I am making a bread using chestnut flour…