Quinoa has become a very popular ingredient in recent years. Besides being very versatile, it’s considered by nutritionists to be one of the most important super foods for its numerous nutritional properties and it’s often used as a substitute for couscous in gluten-free recipes. Quinoa is also an excellent source of protein and amino acids, therefore is perfect for vegetarian and vegan diets.
I must thank my mother for this awesome recipe! She usually prepares meat dishes using artichokes, peas and potatoes. Being a vegetarian, I thought of using this amazing combination of flavours in a quinoa recipe, in order to create a delicious and perfectly balanced meal.
Cooking tip. After cutting the artichokes dip them in cold water and some lemon juice for a few minutes, to preserve the colour.
Artichoke and Pea Quinoa.
for 4 servings
200 g ( 7 oz) of peas
1 large potato
1 organic vegetable stock cube
1 large onion
1 clove of garlic
a bunch of parsley
a sprig of fresh marjoram
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
400 ml (14 fl. oz) of vegetable stock (made with 400 ml of hot water and 1 organic vegetable stock cube)
For the quinoa.
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
a pinch of salt
1. Wash the quinoa, using a strainer, under running water for a few minutes.
2. Put 1 cup of quinoa, 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt in a small pan, then cook for 15 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and cover with the lid.
How to prepare the Vegetables.
1. Peel, wash and finely cut the onion. Fry over a low heat for a few minutes. Cut the garlic clove, remove the green core, then chop and fry with the onion.
2. Wash and trim the artichokes, removing all the sharp, hard and hairy bits. Cut each artichoke into 8 parts (also peel and cut the stems into small pieces) then add to the ingredients.
3. Wash, peel and cut the potato into very small cubes. Add the potato, pour 400 ml of vegetable stock into the pan and mix well.
4. Then add the peas and cook for about 30 minutes over a low heat (cover with the lid and stir from time to time).
5. Five minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the herbs ( finely chopped) and season with salt and pepper.
6. Turn off the heat and serve the vegetables with the quinoa in the middle.
Quinoa con Carciofi e Piselli.
per 4 persone
200 g di piselli
1 patata grande
1 cipolla grande
1 spicchio d’aglio
1 dado vegetale biologico
un mazzetto di prezzemolo
un mazzetto di maggiorana fresca
5 cucchiai di olio extra vergine d’ oliva
400 ml di brodo vegetale (fatto con 400 ml d’acqua bollente e un dado vegetale)
sale e pepe q b
per la quinoa
80 g di quinoa
200 ml d’acqua (ancora meglio se usate del brodo vegetale)
un pizzico di sale
Preparazione della quinoa.
1. Lavate la quinoa, usando un colino, sotto il getto d’acqua del rubinetto per qualche minuto.
2. Fate cuocere in acqua leggermente salata (o brodo) la quinoa per circa 15 minuti.
3. Spegnete il fuoco, coprite con il coperchio e lasciate riposare.
Preparazione delle verdure.
1. Pulite, tagliate finemente la cipolla e fate soffriggere a fuoco basso. Tagliate in due lo spicchio d’aglio, togliete l’anima, tritate e aggiungete al soffritto.
2. Lavate e pulite i carciofi, togliendo tutte le spine, le parti dure e fastidiose. Tagliate ciascun carciofo in 8 parti, tagliate anche il gambo a pezzetti e aggiungete al soffritto.
3. Pelate, lavate e tagliate la patata a cubetti molto piccoli. Mettete a cuocere la patata e aggiungete del brodo vegetale. Mescolate bene.
4. Aggiungete i piselli e fate cuocere a fuoco lento per 30 minuti con il coperchio semi chiuso, mescolando occasionalmente.
5. Quasi a fine cottura, aggiungete le erbe tritate finemente e condite con il sale e pepe.
6. A cottura terminata, spegnete il fuoco e servite le verdure con la quinoa nel centro.
15 thoughts on “Amazing Artichoke and Pea Quinoa.”
Super, you recipe tempts me a lot and I love artichokes 🙂
Thank you darling!!! 🙂 Oh, artichokes are so tasty!!
Yum, this sounds amazing! Love the flavour artichoke brings to many dishes- great recipe! 🙂
Hi Jess! Thank you!! I totally agree 😉
This looks so good- I’m obsessed with quinoa and my favorite vegetable is peas! I will have to give this a try, I eat quinoa every single day for lunch. My husband loves it too, and his favorite veg is artichokes! Couldn’t be more perfect 🙂
Sound like a perfect plan! 🙂 I am glad you like this recipe! As I explained on the post, my mother usually cooks these vegetables as a side dish with meat dishes. I think peas and artichokes are made for each other! 😉
Thank you so much for stopping by!
They most definitely are, I’ll let you know how it goes!
Please do!! 🙂
This dish looks beautiful!
Thank you so much!! It was really tasty….but I would eat artichokes with anything! :-)))